This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
These keto Brussel sprouts are the ultimate side dish for your holiday meal. Crispy Brussels sprouts are cooked in a creamy garlic cheese sauce and topped with crispy bacon. Whether you’re looking to complement your Thanksgiving feast or enjoy a wholesome keto-friendly dinner, this recipe has it all.
Even if you are Brussel sprouts hater…..you are going to love this new way to enjoy the incredible flavors of Brussels sprouts (trust me). Creamy, cheesy, and oh-so-delectable, these Brussels sprouts are a delicious blend of heavy cream, mozzarella, and cheddar cheeses.
They are seasoned with a hint of nutmeg and a touch of salt and pepper, and topped with crispy bacon. I kid you not…each bite is the perfect balance of taste and texture.
What You’ll Love About This Recipe
You’ll need the following ingredients to make this Keto Brussel sprouts recipe:
Brussel Sprouts: Roasting Brussel sprouts in the oven caramelizes them and releases the bitter taste that is normally associated with Brussel sprouts.
.Bacon: I prefer to use nitrate-free bacon (which is free from the preservatives that are commonly found in cured bacon). Cook the bacon until crispy before chopping and sprinkling it over the Brussels sprouts
How to make Keto Brussel Sprouts: Step by Step
Here are quick visual instructions. Be sure to check out the full instructions with exact ingredients in the printable recipe card below.
Step 1: Roast the sliced Brussel sprouts on a baking sheet with olive oil, salt and pepper in the oven for about 15 to 20 minutes or until browned and crispy. Flip them over about halfway through so they cook evenly..
Step 2: While the Brussel sprouts are roasting, add the heavy cream, shredded cheese, and nutmeg to to a small sauce pan and heat through on low until cheese is melted.
Step 3: Add the roasted Brussel sprouts to a 9×13 dish and pour cheese sauce over them. Top with the bacon.
Step 4: Reduce oven temperature to 375 and cook Brussel sprouts for an additional 15 minutes or until bubbly..
Recipe Tips and Tricks
- When cutting your Brussel sprouts: start by trimming off the tough end of the stem with a sharp knife. This will make it easier to remove any wilted or damaged outer leaves.
- For hassle-free cleanup, I recommend lining your baking sheet with parchment paper or aluminum foil. While silicone baking mats are great for non-stick purposes, they may hinder the browning and crispiness of the Brussels sprouts. Alternatively, you can place the veggies directly on the baking sheet.
Storage & Reheating
- Storage: These keto Brussel sprouts can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- Reheating: You can reheat your Brussel Sprouts in a microwave-safe dish for 1-2 minutes until warmed through. Alternatively, you can heat the creamy Brussels sprouts on the stove over medium heat for approximately 5 minutes. If they start sticking to the pan, add a few tablespoons of cream or butter and mix it in to restore the creamy consistency.
- Freezing: Because of the heavy cream, I do not recommended freezing this dish. The cream may not retain its original texture, potentially leading to a watery or mushy consistency upon thawing and reheating.
Additions and Substitutions
Cheese: Feel free to experiment with different types of cheese to customize the flavor. Try substituting the mozzarella or cheddar with gouda, gruyere, or parmesan cheese.
Vegetarian option: To make this dish vegetarian-friendly, simply omit the bacon or replace it with crispy roasted mushrooms for a smoky and savory touch.
Caramelized onions: Add thinly sliced onions to a pan with some butter or oil and cook them slowly over low heat until they become golden brown and fragrant. Mix them into the sauce or use them as a flavorful topping..
Lemon zest: Add a burst of freshness by grating some lemon zest over the finished dish just before serving. The citrusy aroma will uplift the flavors and provide a subtle tang that complements the creaminess.
Red pepper flakes: For a touch of heat, sprinkle some red pepper flakes into your cream sauce. The spicy kick will contrast beautifully with the creamy sauce.
Frequently Asked Questions
Fresh Brussels sprouts are recommended for the best flavor and texture. While you can use frozen Brussels sprouts, they may be more watery and have a softer texture after cooking.
Yes, you can prepare the Brussels sprouts and sauce in advance. Keep them separately in the refrigerator, and when ready to serve, reheat the sauce and Brussels sprouts together until warmed through.
While heavy cream provides a rich and creamy texture, you can try using a lighter alternative like half-and-half or even a combination of milk and Greek yogurt. Note that the sauce may be slightly less rich and creamy with these substitutions.
Yes, this recipe can be easily scaled up or down depending on your needs. Just adjust the ingredient quantities accordingly and keep an eye on cooking times as they may vary.
While this recipe focuses on Brussels sprouts, you can certainly experiment by adding other vegetables like roasted cauliflower, carrots, or even sautéed mushrooms to enhance the flavors and variety of the dish.
Keto Brussel Sprouts Recipe
- 2 pounds of brussel sprouts
- 1 cup of heavy cream
- 1/2 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup of shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- pinch of nutmeg
- 4 slices of cooked bacon – chopped
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Slice brussel sprouts in half and coat with olive oil and salt and pepper.
- Arrange them in a single layer on a baking sheet and roast in the oven for about 15 to 20 minutes or until browned and crispy. Flip them over about halfway through so they cook evenly.
- While brussel sprouts are roasting, add the heavy cream, shredded cheese, and nutmeg to to a small sauce pan and heat through on low until cheese is melted.
- Add the roasted brussel sprouts to a 9×13 dish and pour cheese sauce over them. Top with the bacon.
- Reduce oven temperature to 375 and cook brussel sprouts for an additional 15 minutes or until bubbly.
- When cutting your Brussel sprouts start by trimming off the tough end of the stem with a sharp knife. This will make it easier to remove any wilted or damaged outer leaves.
- Line your baking sheet with parchment paper or aluminum foil for hassle free cleanup.
The nutritional details for recipes are estimated using MyFitnessPal and can vary with different products, measurement accuracy, and source reliability. We aim to provide accurate information but cannot guarantee the precise accuracy of the nutritional data