Butternut Squash Taco Soup
Last Updated on May 5, 2023 by Rachel
Delicious, warm, and comforting this Butternut Squash Taco Soup will keep you warm through the cold winter months. This soup packs all the healthy and good-for-you ingredients and it is ready in less than an hour.
Made with creamy butternut squash, beans, corn, and chicken breast, this is a healthy but delicious and filling soup that speaks comfort without packing in the calories. The beans and the chicken pack a big protein punch which helps to keep you full a while longer.
This Butternut Squash Taco Soup is super easy to prepare and it is a great main course on a busy weeknight. It’s also incredibly freezer friendly, so you can make a big pot of soup and enjoy it throughout the month.
How Healthy is Butternut Squash Soup?
Butternut squash is a great source of fiber, potassium, and many micronutrients including vitamins A, B, C, and E. The nutritional content of butternut squash makes it great for digestion as well as for healthy skin and nails.
If you are following Weight Watchers this soup is 0 points.
Butternut Squash Taco Soup Ingredients
You will need:
- Olive oil
- Sweet onion
- Poblano chili peppers
- Garlic cloves
- Chili powder
- Ground cumin
- Red pepper flakes (chili flakes)
- Chicken broth (reduced-sodium or homemade)
- Fat-free refried beans
- Diced tomatoes (with garlic and onion)
- Seasoned black beans
- Chicken breast (raw)
- Frozen corn kernels
- Butternut squash
- Cilantro and non-fat Greek yogurt to serve (optional)
Keto/Low-carb – leave out the beans for a lower carb version and add a generous dollop of sour cream, sliced avocados or grated cheddar cheese. And do not serve the soup with tortilla chips.
Vegan – for a vegan version omit the chicken and add more butternut squash. Serve with creamy sliced avocado, and some baked tortilla chips.
- Butternut squash – you can use pumpkin instead of the squash.
- Chicken breast – swap the chicken breast for chicken thighs for a more flavorful soup.
How to make the best Butternut Squash Taco Soup:
- Start by gathering and prepping all your ingredients. Then heat some oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add the chopped onion, crushed garlic, and chili peppers and cook for about 5 minutes or until the vegetables are soft.
- Add in the chili powder, ground cumin, and chili flakes and stir.
- Then add the chicken broth, chopped tomatoes, and refried beans and stir well.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer. Add the corn kernels, butternut squash, and chicken.
- Cover and cook until the chicken is cooked thoroughly, approximately 10 minutes depending on the thickness of the chicken breast.
- When the chicken is done cooking remove it from the pot and place it on a plate.
- Using two forks, shred the chicken. Add the shredded chicken back to the pot.
- Add in the zest and juice from one lime and additional red pepper flakes if desired.
- Let it simmer until ready to serve.
- Serve with a dollop of non-fat plain greek yogurt and some chopped parsley. Enjoy!
If you prefer your soup chunkier and more like a stew you can add some brown rice to the soup. But if you prefer your soup on the thinner side just leave it as it is.
Best toppings for the Butternut Squash Taco Soup:
- Lime wedges
- Sliced avocado
- A dollop of Greek yogurt or sour cream
- Grated cheddar cheese
- Green onions
- Tortilla chips (store-bought or homemade)
How to make your own healthy baked tortilla chips:
To make baked tortilla chips, cut the tortilla into strips and lightly spritz or brush with oil. Sprinkle with some salt and bake at 350 degrees for 5-7 minutes or until crispy and lightly golden brown.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. You can read my full disclosure HERE.
How to store and freeze the Butternut Squash Taco Soup:
Let the soup cool down at room temperature, pour into a freezer-safe container or freezer bag, seal and freeze. If you are using a freezer bag, make sure to lay it flat for easy thawing.
Alternatively, you can use this soup freezing tray which I am OBSESSED with!
To heat, let thaw overnight in the refrigerator, then reheat in the microwave or on the stovetop. You can even throw it back in the Instant Pot on sauté mode.
Tools Used to Make Butternut Squash Taco Soup
Chef’s Knife – This all purpose kitchen knife is perfect for chopping the onion, garlic, and squash.
Wooden Corner Spoon – This spoon is perfect for sautéing onions and garlic.
Soup Pot – If you are in the market for a new soup pot – I have had this one for years and I love it.
More Healthy Soup Recipes You’ll Love:
Instant Pot Chili Lime Chicken Soup | Instant Pot Vegetable Soup |
Butternut Squash Taco Soup
- 1 tsp Olive Oil
- 1 cup diced sweet onion
- 2 poblano chile peppers chopped
- 1 chopped jalapeno (I left the seeds in because I like a little heat)
- 3 cloves of garlic minced
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon red pepper flakes or to taste
- 32 oz of Reduced Sodium Chicken Broth one carton
- 1 16 oz can Fat Free Refried Beans
- 1 15 oz can of Garlic and Onion Diced Tomatoes
- 1 15 oz can of seasoned black beans drained
- 1 1/2 lbs of uncooked chicken breast
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1 cup cubed butternut squash
- Zest of one small lime
- Cilantro and Non-Fat Greek Yogurt as garnish for serving
- Heat oil in a large soup pot over medium heat.
- Add onions, garlic, and peppers.
- Cook until vegetables are soft, approximately 5 minutes.
- Add in chili powder, cumin, and red pepper flakes and stir.
- Add chicken broth, tomatoes, and refried beans and stir well.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer.
- Add corn, butternut squash, and chicken.
- Cover and cook until chicken is cooked thoroughly, approximately 10 minutes depending on the thickness of the chicken breast.
- When chicken is done, remove it from the pot and place it on a plate.
- Using two forks, shred the chicken.
- Add the shredded chicken back to the pot.
- Add in lime zest, stir well.
- Add additional red pepper flakes if desired.
- Let simmer until ready to serve.
- Serve with a dollop of nonfat greek (or plain) yogurt and chopped fresh cilantro.