Vegan Black Bean Brownies
Last Updated on May 5, 2023 by Rachel
These Vegan Black Bean Brownies are fudgy, luxurious, and sweet. They require only a handful of simple ingredients that you might already have on hand, a food processor (or blender), and a baking pan.
This is the easiest Vegan Black Bean Brownies recipe ever! Made from a handful of everyday ingredients plus one more secret ingredient, this recipe is ready in about 30 minutes. Rich, moist, fudgy, decadent brownies that nobody will ever guess how healthy and good for you they really are.
Are black bean brownies actually good?
I know what you might be thinking; black beans + chocolate? Can this be actually good and taste like a real brownie. Black beans are not an ingredient that you would usually think of when it comes to brownies, yet they are the main ingredient in these brownies and no one will ever guess they are in there at all.
They taste like a fudgy and decadent brownie. They are super healthy packed with protein due to the black beans and they are full of delicious chocolatey flavor.
A Healthier Brownie Recipe
Typically the words “healthy” and “brownie” do not go together but these brownies are the exception to that rule!
What makes these brownies so healthy? These healthy black bean brownie are filled with good for you nutrient dense ingredients that won’t leave you with that crash and burn feeling that you get from eating sugar filled brownies.
Black Beans are the basis of this brownie. They are a complex carb and are filled with fiber and protein so they will leave you filling satiated and full.
These brownies are sweetened with banana which are rich in fiber, antioxidants, and micronutrients including potassium, magnesium, and vitamin C.
Coconut oil is used in place of vegetable oil or canola oil and is a great source of healthy fats.
Looking for more healthy brownies recipes? You will love these sweet potato brownies and healthy banana brownies.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. You can read my full disclosure HERE.
Vegan Black Bean Brownies Ingredients
You will need:
- Black beans – be sure to rinse and drain them
- Gluten-free flour – can also use all-purpose flour
- Cocoa powder – use extra dark for a richer and more chocolatey flavor.
- Banana – ripe
- Maple syrup – be sure to use pure maple syrup. You can also use sugar free monk fruit syrup.
- Sea salt
- Coconut oil
- Vanilla extract
- Baking powder
- Dark chocolate chips – can also use sugar free chocolate chips or vegan chocolate chips.
- Walnuts – optional if you are nut free or not a fan of walnuts
Equipment you will need to make the Vegan Black Bean Brownies:
- Food processor or immersion blender
- Sheet Pan
- Spoon or spatula
- Baking dish
- Parchment paper
- Measuring cups and spoons
How to make Easy Vegan Black Bean Brownies:
- First, preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Next, combine the cooked black beans, cocoa powder, ripe banana, maple syrup, coconut oil, sea salt, vanilla extract, baking powder, and flour in a good food processor, and blend until completely smooth.
- Mix into the batter the chopped walnuts and chocolate chips.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, pour, and extend the batter. You can sprinkle some extra chocolate chips over the top if you want.
- Cook the brownies in the preheated oven for about 20 minutes, then let them cool on the countertop for at least 10 minutes before cutting and serving. Enjoy!
- You can use canned black beans that you drained and rinse before. This is the easiest and fastest way. You can also cook your own black beans – you will need two cups.
- You can use dark chocolate chips, sugar free chocolate chips, or vegan chocolate chips. You can also chop up your favorite vegan chocolate bar and use that instead.
How to store and freeze the Vegan Black Bean Brownies:
You can store the black bean brownies in an airtight container for 24 hours on the counter or up to a week in the fridge. They are freezer friendly as well if you’d like to make a bigger batch and enjoy throughout the month. When you are ready to eat just let them thaw overnight in the fridge and they will be good to go.
Vegan Black Bean Brownies
- 1 can of black beans – rinsed and drained
- ¼ cup of cocoa powder
- 1 ripped banana
- ½ cup maple syrup
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- ¼ cup of coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ cup dark chocolate chips
- 1 cup walnuts
- ½ cup gluten-free flour
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Combine all ingredients except chocolate chips and walnuts in a good food processor, and blend until completely smooth.
- Stir in walnuts and and chocolate chips.
- Line a sheet pan with baking paper. Pour and extend the batter. Optional: sprinkle extra chocolate chips over the top.
- Cook the black bean brownies for 20 minutes, then let cool at least 10 minutes before serving.