This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
These Keto Meatloaf Muffins are to die for. Made with less than 10 ingredients, they are a healthy comfort food option. These keto meat loaves are made with pork panko to keep them low carb as well as sugar-free ketchup. This meatloaf minis recipe is a low-carb win.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. You can read my full disclosure HERE.
This low carb meatloaf recipe is so fun to make! Instead of cooking the meatloaf in a traditional pan, we are using a muffin tin which helps to speed up the cooking time.
It also means that the meatloaf muffins are perfectly portioned and perfect for the whole family to enjoy. Mom hack: Tell your kids that these are meatloaf cupcakes and they will gobble them up!
Looking for another yummy low carb dinner? Try this Big Mac Bowl.
What You’ll Love About This Recipe
You’ll need the following ingredients to make these Keto Mini Meatloaves:
- ground beef
- chopped onion
- garlic cloves
- 1 egg
- shredded cheddar cheese
- pork panko
- dried oregano
- black pepper
- unsweetened ketchup
Pork Panko: This is pork rinds ground up finely to the consistency of breadcrumbs. I suggest ordering your pork panko from Amazon because you will most likely not find it in the store.
Alternatively, you can make your own by blitzing pork rinds in a food processor.
Unsweetened Ketchup: I recommend Primal Kitchen Ketchup because it’s a great brand with great ingredients. You should be able to get it at Walmart or your local grocery store. If you can’t find it, any unsweetened ketchup will do.
How to make Keto Mini Meatloaf: Step by Step
Here are quick visual instructions. Be sure to check out the full instructions with exact ingredients in the printable recipe card below.
Step 1: In a large bowl combine your ground beef together with the chopped onion, the minced garlic, egg, pork panko, shredded cheddar cheese, dried oregano, salt & pepper, and with your hands knead together until well combined. A spoon or whisk won’t do the trick.
Step 2: Shape 1/4 cup of mixture into a puck shape and place it into the muffin pan. Should make about 11 mini meatloaves.
Step 3: Top each mini meatloaf with half a tablespoon of unsweetened ketchup and bake at bake 375 for about 20-25 minutes, or until the muffins are cooked through and have an internal temperature of 160°F (71°C).
Recipe Tips and Tricks
Muffin Pan Prep: Be sure to grease your muffin pan or use silicone liners to prevent the muffins from sticking. This will also make clean up much easier.
Cheese Options: For an extra burst of flavor, sprinkle a little additional cheese on the muffins before you pop them into the oven.
Storage, Freezing, & Reheating
Storage: Once the Keto Meatloaf Muffins have cooled, they should be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator. They will stay good for up to 4-5 days.
Freezing: If you want to freeze them, first let the muffins cool completely. Then, place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and freeze until solid. Once frozen, transfer the muffins into a freezer-safe bag or container. Make sure to label with the date, they’ll be good for up to 3 months.
Reheating: When you’re ready to eat the muffins, if they’re refrigerated, you can reheat them in the microwave for a minute or two, or in a preheated oven at 350°F for about 10-15 minutes, or until heated through. If they’re frozen, it’s best to thaw them in the fridge overnight before reheating.
You can also reheat in your air fryer at 350°F for 2-3 minutes or until thoroughly warmed. Do in batches if needed.
Additions, Substitutions, and Variations
Ground Meat: While this recipe calls for ground beef, you can easily substitute with ground turkey, chicken, or pork based on your preference or dietary needs.
Cheese: Swap out the cheddar for another cheese of your choice. Mozzarella, Monterey Jack, or even blue cheese could provide interesting flavor variations.
Vegetables: Try adding diced bell peppers, zucchini, or mushrooms for a veggie boost.
Spices: If you prefer a bit of heat, consider adding a pinch of cayenne pepper or some diced jalapeños.
Bacon: For a smoky flavor, try adding some chopped cooked bacon strips into the mix.
Italian Style: Add some Italian seasoning, swap the cheddar for mozzarella, and use a low-carb marinara sauce instead of ketchup.
Mexican Style: Include a taco seasoning mix, swap cheddar for a Mexican blend cheese, and consider adding a bit of salsa on top.
BBQ Style: Incorporate a bit of smoked paprika into the mix and use a low-carb BBQ sauce instead of ketchup.
Keto-Friendly Sides to Pair with Your Meatloaf Muffins
These Low Carb Meatloaf Muffins are quite versatile and can be paired with a wide range of sides to make a complete meal. Here are a few keto-friendly suggestions:
- Cauliflower Mash: This is a classic substitute for mashed potatoes on a keto diet. It’s creamy, delicious, and is the perfect side dish for these meatloaf muffins.
- Green Salad: A fresh green salad with a keto-friendly dressing can add a crisp and refreshing contrast to the hearty meatloaf muffins.
- Roasted Vegetables: Roasted veggies like broccoli, brussels sprouts, or asparagus would pair well, adding both flavor and nutrients to your meal.
- Sautéed Spinach or Kale: A side of sautéed greens can be a healthy and flavorful addition. Add a little garlic for an extra boost of flavor.
- Zucchini Noodles (Zoodles): If you’re missing the traditional spaghetti and meatballs, consider serving your meatloaf muffins with zoodles. Top with a little marinara sauce for a complete meal.
- Keto Coleslaw: A tangy coleslaw made with a keto-friendly dressing can add a nice crunch and a refreshing note to your meal.
- Steamed Green Beans: Simple yet flavorful, green beans make for a quick and easy side that complements the meatloaf muffins.
- Cauliflower Rice: Another great low-carb side, cauliflower rice can soak up any extra sauce and round out your meal.
- Keto Bread: If you’ve found a keto bread recipe you love, it can be a nice side to mop up the flavorful juices from the meatloaf muffins.
How To Meal Prep
- Prepare in Bulk: Double or triple the recipe based on your needs for the week. The prep time remains nearly the same, and you’ll have several meals ready to go.
- Bake and Cool: Bake the muffins as per the recipe, then allow them to cool completely. It’s important not to rush this step, as the muffins can become soggy if stored while they’re still hot.
- Portion and Store: Divide the muffins into meal-sized portions, depending on your dietary requirements. Each portion can be a single meal, or you can pair the muffins with side dishes for a more varied meal.
- Refrigerate or Freeze: Store your portioned meals in airtight containers in the fridge if you plan on eating them within the next 4-5 days. For longer storage, place them in the freezer where they’ll be good for up to 3 months.
- Prepare Sides: If you want to include sides, prepare them in advance and store them separately. Keto-friendly salads, roasted vegetables, or cauliflower mash are great options.
- Reheat and Enjoy: When you’re ready to eat, reheat your muffins in the microwave or oven. If frozen, thaw in the fridge overnight or use the defrost function on your microwave.
Frequently Asked Questions
Adapted from: Megan Seelinger
Keto Meatloaf Muffins
- 1 lb ground beef
- ½ cup onion chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 egg
- ½ cup cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 cup pork panko
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 5 ½ tbsp unsweetened ketchup used Primal Kitchen Ketchup
- Preheat oven to 375ºF and grease a muffin pan.
- In a bowl, combine ground beef, chopped onion, minced garlic, egg, pork panko, cheddar cheese, oregano, salt & pepper and knead together until well combined.
- Shape ¼ cup of the meat mixture into a puck shape and place it into the muffin pan. Should make about 11 mini meatloaves.
- Top each mini meatloaf with ½ tablespoon of ketchup.
- Bake for about 20-25 minutes, or until the muffins are cooked through and have an internal temperature of 160°F (71°C).
- Be sure to grease your muffin pan or use silicone liners to prevent the muffins from sticking. This will also make clean up much easier.
- For an extra burst of flavor, sprinkle a little additional cheese on the muffins before you pop them into the oven
Please note that the nutritional information provided for each recipe is an estimate sourced from the My Fitness Pal database. It’s important to be aware that the nutritional content may vary depending on the specific products used, the accuracy of measurements, and the reliability of the nutrition data source. While we strive to provide accurate information, we cannot guarantee the exact accuracy of the nutritional information provided.