This Healthy Beef and Broccoli is one of our family’s favorite dishes. It is delicious, easy, and quick to make. It’ can easily be made paleo, macro friendly, low carb, and gluten-free as well.
This Healthy Beef and Broccoli is super fast to prepare and so good for you. This healthy beef and broccoli stir-fry is delicious served over rice (white or brown) or even noodles. If you prefer to stay low carb then you can serve it with cauliflower rice.
Healthy beef with broccoli is the perfect recipe for when you are craving Chinese takeout but want a healthier option. Typically, takeout Chinese food is cooked in unhealthy oils, is high in sodium, and has added sugar.
This version is a lot better for you. All you need is 30 minutes and one pan to make this macro balanced meal which honestly tastes better than the restaurant version.
Ingredients Needed To Make Healthy Beef and Broccoli
You will need:
- Beef Strips
- Head of broccoli
- Brown sugar – can be subbed for swerve brown sugar
- Fresh ginger
- Soy sauce – can be subbed for coconut aminos or liquid aminos
- Cornstarch – can be subbed for arrow root powder
- Sesame seed oil
- Beef broth
- Lime juice
- Cooking oil
- Sesame seeds
How to make the best Healthy Beef and Broccoli
- Stir together all the sauce ingredients in a medium-sized bowl. Taste and adjust to personal preference, then set aside.
- After, heat the oil over medium-high heat in a large skillet and add the chopped broccoli and sauté until lightly browned, stirring occasionally, and remove from skillet.
- Now it’s time to cook the meat; add a little bit more oil to the skillet and once it’s hot add the beef strips and cook until is evenly browned. Use a thermometer to check the internal temperature which should be at about 135ºF and that’s ok as it will continue to cook in the sauce.
- Add your broccoli back to the skillet, pour over the sauce, and cook stirring constantly until the sauce has thickened.
What cut of meat is best for beef and broccoli?
You can use the traditional flank steak, which can be a bit tough or you can go for a more tender option like skirt steak or even tender flat iron steak which can be found in the store, near the other two that I mentioned.
Pro tip: If you stick your meat in the freezer for about 15-20 minutes and allow it to partially freeze – it is a lot easier to slice.
Be sure to slice it across the grain for the most tender cut.
Can you eat beef and broccoli on keto?
Yes! The two main ingredients of this recipe are beef and broccoli which are both keto-friendly ingredients. Beef and broccoli is an amazing low carb dish. To make recipe keto simply swap the brown sugar for Swerve Brown Sugar. Serve this recipe over cauliflower rice for a perfect low carb dinner.
How to store the beef and broccoli:
Store the beef and broccoli in an airtight container for 5-6 days in the refrigerator. Beef and broccoli is also a great meal prep recipe. Store it in these meal prep containers for the perfect make ahead lunch or dinner.
To further extend the shelf life of this recipe, you can also freeze it. When you’re ready to serve, just thaw and heat it up over medium-high heat until it’s warm through.
Variations of Healthy Beef and Broccoli
- Gluten Free – Replace the soy sauce with coconut aminos, liquid aminos, or GF soy sauce.
- Paleo – Be sure to sub the corn starch for arrow root powder and use coconut aminos instead of soy sauce.
- Keto/Low Carb – Sub out the brown sugar for Swerve Brown Sugar
More Healthy Dinner Recipes
- 1 lb beef strips
- 3 tbsp cooking oil, divided
- 1 head broccoli florets chopped off
- sesame seeds to garnish, optional
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 small piece ginger - thumb size
- 4 garlic cloves
- 4 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp cornstarch or more as needed
- 1 tsp black pepper or to taste
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 cup beef broth
- Stir together all sauce ingredients together in a medium-sized bowl. Taste and adjust to personal preference. Set aside.
- Place 2 tablespoons of the cooking oil in a large skillet and heat over medium-high heat.
- Add the chopped broccoli and sauté until lightly browned, stirring occasionally. Remove from skillet and set aside.
- Add the remaining oil to the skillet and once hot, add the beef strips. Cook until beef is evenly browned and reaches an internal temperature of at least 135ºF (will continue to cook in the sauce).
- Add the broccoli back to the skillet and pour in the sauce
- Cook, stirring constantly, for 2-3 minutes until sauce thickened.
- Serve over noodles or rice and sprinkle some sesame seeds on top. Enjoy!